Monday, April 8, 2013

Diamonds in the Sky : Locust Plague or Pretty Sight?

Picture this. Sitting in a mini bus that drives calmly though rural Southern Madagascar, listening to Rihana's Diamonds in the sky. It is a hot afternoon, the drive from Tulear to Isalo is long, but the straight road is good and the landscape stunning. Suddenly, about half way, a big black cloud approaches. What the hell? What is it? A tornado? A sand storm? When I realize what it is I manage to quickly shout:  "Close the windows", just in time. Our driver accelerates as I quickly grope my bag for my camera.

Millions of silver wings

Then our mini bus is surrounded by hundreds of thousands of silvery wings flickering in the afternoon sun. A pretty sight, almost like diamonds in the sky. But I assure you, they are not pretty diamonds. They are swarms of billions of 6-legged, hungry, plant devouring insects!


What looks like silvery raindrops are actually swarms of locusts.

Half the country?

BBC and CNN reported on it last week. I even got calls from a TV channel in the Netherlands about this biblical plague. Most journalists quoted FAO stating that "about half the country is infested by hoppers and flying swarms - each swarm made up of billions of  insects".

Insecticide

About half the country? That seems exaggerated, but fact is that they are here and they multiply faster than horny rabbits. Fact is also that if nothing is done, they will pose a serious threat to the already precarious food security situation in southern Madagascar.  So why is nothing done? I don't know really. What I do know is that tons of insecticide have been donated about six months ago, but no systematic spraying has been taking place yet. Also, mysteriously, around the same time many small hardware stores in town started to sell Nuvan, an insecticide normally unavailable on the private market. Drive around Tana and you'll see little Nuvan posters everywhere. Coincidence? Maybe. As coincidental as listening to Rihana's Diamonds in the Sky while watching millions of shiny crickets in the sky?



Watch my little video of these six-legged, plant devouring 'diamonds' in the sky.






6 comments:

  1. 1) This disaster happened 15 years ago, same place (if I remember correctly).
    2) Selling the donated Nuvan is an example of the dark side of foreign donations: they (the donations) don't usually reach the people in need and the place where they are intended to. They often enrich the government officials and the crooks of the recipient poor countries.
    Similarly, did you know that in Ambohipo, Tana there is a black market of medicinal drugs (which I speculate they[the drugs] are donations)?
    A Malagasy Reader!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are absolutely right, there is a lot of dodgy stuff going on in foreign development. And not all with good intentions. I'll make sure to go buy my medicine in Ambohipo next time! (just kidding)

    Keep reading! I appreciate your comments, really.

    By the way: do I know you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, we don't know each other. I actually discovered your blog through another expat's blog.
      My favorite development economist is William Easterly, the author of "The white man's burden: Why the West efforts to aid the rest have done so much ill and so little good" because what he said in that book I saw through my own eyes when I lived in Madagascar.

      A Malagasy Reader!

      Delete
  3. I received more information about what is called in French La Lutte Anticredienne. There is a committee, and a 3 year 2013 - 2016 Locust Invasions Response plan. It's all in place, all that is missing is a sheer 41 millions USD...(!!.)I'm afraid it will be too late.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is a case when humanitarian aid is really needed. If it gets funded, I pray that all the funds go directly towards the cause instead of paying bureaucrats.

      A Malagasy Reader!

      Delete
  4. Nice one Susanne about the Biblical plaque.

    Medi

    ReplyDelete